Saturday 27 February 2021

Word Magick: Deserving Versus Entitled

A woman standing in her kitchen wearing a blue top and smiling at the camera

I've done a couple of posts on beliefs and attitudes within magickal practice over the past year, and today I want to talk about Deserving vs. Entitled - something I’ve been pondering over for a while.

To me, feeling deserving is important in magick, it falls under the Will part of "to Know, to Will, to Dare, to Keep Silent" - and magick is the process of absolutely believing that something deserves to happen, and then making it happen.

But “deserving” has a very different energy to “entitled.”

Looking at the definitions of these words, deserving means to merit, to be qualified for, or to be worthy of something. Entitlement is the fact of having a right to something, or the feeling of having a right to something.

It is pretty much the same concept, except there is a small (or huge, depending on your viewpoint) difference.

Deserving is being quietly confident, and has an element of integrity and humbleness about it. Entitlement can be bratty, arrogant and over-confident.

Working with magick is of course all about working with energies, so I feel that the difference in these concepts (attitudes!) is hugely important. I believe that how we think, feel and act - our attitude - is crucial. I believe that if we behave poorly and without honour in our ordinary lives, we are at risk of straying into dangerous territory in our magickal lives, and I can’t help but feel that having an entitled attitude can get in the way of successful spellwork.

Of course this is just my feeling, and my personal opinion; it doesn’t mean I’m right.

What do you think? Does having a good attitude matter? Does having an entitled attitude get in the way of successful magick? Are people with entitled attitudes more or less likely to be successful in their magickal workings compared to someone who is a bit more humble? Let me know what you think.

NEXT - Word Magick: Prayer To Mother Earth 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving comments!