Thursday 16 September 2021

Word Magick: The Season of the Witch

Brown Wheel of the Year ornaments showing the top half of the wheel and pink roses behind it

We’re halfway through September, so I’m late to the party, but I wanted to add my voice to what Louisa @thewitchesstone and Crow @marget.inglis_witchcraft think about the suggestion, made by many witches, that autumn is the “Season of the Witch.”

Don’t get me wrong - I love the “-ber” months as much the next person - but I always feel a bit confused when 1st September rolls around, and everyone is going a bit bonkers about the “Season of the Witch.”

I love autumn. I get excited for the leaves changing colour. The trees shedding them is the perfect reminder that it’s ok to let some things go. I appreciate the cooler temperatures, and embrace getting my boots, scarves and chunky knits out. I adore Samhain for its depth and beauty; for the opportunity for reflection and remembrance, but like Louisa and Crow, I don’t agree that autumn is the Season of the Witch.

To me, Witchcraft, and indeed life, is all about balance. Many (but not all) modern pagans, witches and Wiccans celebrate the Wheel of the Year; the cyclical journey through the seasons. At each point on the Wheel we are afforded an opportunity for introspection, a chance to look backwards, and forwards. There is balance in each festival, each season, the year. Each Sabbat has something special for witches and pagans. Therefore in my mind, EVERY season is the Season of the Witch.

I do understand having a favourite festival and season. Beltane will always, always have my heart! Summer will always be my favourite time of the year. Maybe it’s just that the majority of witches love the autumn?

What do you think?

Do you think autumn is the Season of the Witch? If so, why is that? Has it become known as the Season of the Witch because of the association of witches at Halloween? (Which is separate to Samhain, of course).

If autumn is your favourite season what is it you love about this time so much?

Maybe another season is your favourite? If so, what is your favourite season (or festival), and why?

I’d love to hear your thoughts! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving comments!