Wednesday 12 October 2022

Fabulous Folklore: A Personal Spooky Story

A skeleton in a glass cabinet flanked by reflections

So, Halloween and Samhain are nearly upon us. Let’s have some spooky stories!

Do you guys have any? I intend to share these stories and others from this post on my YouTube channel.

I have quite a few but today this one springs to mind…

Twenty one years ago I was walking down a dark, unlit country lane in Hampshire with my beloved friend, Sarah. It was the night before I was due to move to Northern Ireland and we were up late grabbing some precious time together. Down the other end of the lane was a man with a dog. I remember being in a fantastic mood; I was enjoying my evening with Sarah and was full of joy and excitement for the coming days. Add the prospect of petting a dog into the mix and I was positively bursting with happiness! My ‘phone rang and it was Tom, my then partner. He was on the overnight ferry from Belfast making his way over to England to collect me. I was chatting to Tom, hearing his news about how the first phase of our relocation had gone, and telling him what I was up to. We’d been on the call for a few minutes when I was said I going to say goodnight to allow him to attempt some sleep and because someone was approaching with a dog I wanted to pet. Sarah quietly shushed me, and I broke my sentence off. Weird. I repeated the bit about the dog to Tom and she shushed me again, looking a bit sheepish. I got off the ‘phone and asked her what was wrong and she said she didn’t want to talk about it. It seemed weird and out of character for Sarah, but I didn’t want to make her feel uncomfortable. We carried on walking down the dark unlit passage, chatting and enjoying our time together. We got to the end of the road and I mentioned how strange it was that the man or the dog never materialised; she told me she’d answer this when we were back on lit paths. We made our way back onto the estate and she told me that the lane was called Black Dog Lane, and was supposedly haunted by a man with a big dark dog, who would wait for the dog at the end of the lane, before disappearing together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving comments!