Sunday 16 October 2022

Customs & Traditions: Samhain

Three pumpkins on a wooden table in a dark room lit by candles

I wondered about the traditions you have at this time of year.

At home, we celebrate both Halloween and Samhain. Usually we celebrate Halloween with a walk in the woods, pumpkin carving and a movie. There are usually a lot of sweets and treats. 

In the evening, we celebrate Samhain with a seasonal feast and our annual ritual at sundown. Sometimes that’s four or five of us, or sometimes it’s just me and my husband; depending on where the children are.

We don’t have a full dumb supper, but we do lay an extra place setting at the table and invite any of our ancestors who may be passing through to join us. When everyone has gone to bed I have my own private ritual.

There are many parts to our day that are traditional to us. We go to a river or body of water special to us and using apples to represent our deceased loved ones, we make an offering in their memory to the Earth. I like to be in my home by sundown and I light a candle that I keep burning all night, which I keep close to me. If I’m not too tired, I like to keep a vigil all night. I do some spell work, connect with my grandmother (who is in spirit) and do some journeying.

What do your festivities look like? Do you celebrate Samhain? Do you celebrate Halloween? Do you celebrate both? What do those celebrations look like? Have they melded together?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving comments!