Wednesday 8 December 2021

Building Community: What Witches Look Like

Wren, The Cemetery Witch standing on a country lane in coat and scarf holding a stang

This year I took part in the hashtag #whatwitcheslooklike on Instagram - Feel free to share a picture of yourself in your regular garb (not a witchy outfit) and help destigmatise witch stereotypes.

When encountering someone new for the first time, we instantly and spontaneously attribute a variety of character traits to them, based on their physical appearance. In a matter of seconds we form an opinion of them; deciding whether someone is trustworthy or kind, whether they are friend or foe. Whether, perhaps, they are the witch amongst us.

I’ve been thinking about the assumptions we can make when we meet people for the first time, how hard I work to challenge stereotypes and prejudices in my own mind, and my own experiences of judgement.

On the whole people don’t assume I’m a witch, but when they hear I live on a cemetery it’s clear that they’re a bit suspicious of me (except for people in the witch community, who just think it’s cool).

What else?
  • People often assume I’m quite posh and/or rich (wrong!).
  • They are surprised to learn that I have tattoos.
  • They don’t realise that I’m disabled due to invisible illness.
  • They think I’m very tall, until they meet me in person, and realise that I’m tiny in comparison to the picture they drew in their head (this one happens a lot).

What about witch stereotypes?
  • There is often the idea that we’re evil, or that we must be a particular type of witch (usually Wiccan ), and that witches are female.
  • All witches look different!
  • All witches ARE different!
  • Like the rest of the population we’re a mixed bunch - we might be disabled, BIPOC, male, or LGBTQIA+ 
  • We come from a range of backgrounds, and have a range of paths, beliefs and interests.

Please help by sharing your image. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving comments!