Monday 17 February 2020

Tasseography


Day 17 #witchwithme – TASSEOGRAPHY

Tasseography is a method of divination which involves the reading of tea leaves, coffee grounds, or wine sediments. It’s not an art I practice, and as I don’t like tea or coffee (and I don’t drink!), it would be a bit tricky! However, I couldn’t help but admire these gorgeous cups and saucers at the Covenstead B&B in Glastonbury.

It is believed that Tasseography can be traced to medieval fortune tellers who used molten wax and lead, reading the splatters - sounds dangerous! This evolved into tea-leaf reading in the 17th Century.

Many interpretations for symbols exist; these can be people, animals, inanimate objects. When I look at these cups I really wish I liked tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving comments!