Tuesday 25 August 2020

Personal Magick: Talking to the Trees

Yellow sunset setting over a cemetery and casting light by a large tree

Today’s prompt over at @witch.with.me is Tree Magick, and I’m going to bare my soul again by telling you a very personal story about a tree.

Now, it’s not the tree in the picture - which is a sequoiadendron giganteum, or “Wellingtonia” which stands proudly in our cemetery - but a beautiful Oak tree I met at a sacred site, many moons ago.

I say “met” - and this is where it gets interesting - because the tree spoke to me.

Before I go any further, I’d like to point out that I know this story will sound far-fetched to some (though probably not you guys), and that omitting certain details detracts from its credibility; but I must recall it in the way that feels right.

I was visiting a hill fort at a particularly difficult time in my life, but as is normal for me, I was enjoying my trip and making the most of the day I had been gifted. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, and despite things being tricky, I was otherwise enjoying life.

My then-partner wandered off to look at something, and I made my way over to the most beautiful of Oaks; I wanted to stand beneath it, touch its bark, and ‘connect in’ with this majestic being.

I held the tree, and in my mind asked the tree what I should about my current situation.

I never expected an answer...

It was at once the voice in my mind, but the voice of something - someone - else, too.

I decided my imagination was playing tricks on me, but was aware that there was no way I could think and talk inside my mind at the same time.

I did what I think anyone else would do, and I asked their name. Please do not ask me the name, because I have promised to keep it a secret.

When I got home I was shocked to discover that I cannot find anything under that name on Google.

We conversed a little longer, but not wanting to be greedy or “push my luck” I thanked the tree for its insight, and ended the conversation. I stayed a little longer under the tree, happy but stunned, before moving on. An experience I will ever forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving comments!