Thursday 8 September 2022

Review: The Bewitching by Jill Dawson

A cope of The Bewitching by Jill Dawson displayed upon a witch's altar surrounded by bowls, flowers and ornaments

The Bewitching ~ A book by Jill Dawson

A huge thanks to Louise at Hodder Books (@hodderbooks) who sent me this a couple of months ago. The Bewitching is a story drawing on the 16th century case of the Witches of Warboys and is written by Jill Dawson (@jilldawsonauthor).

At first glance I thought my mum had sent me this book because she lives in Warboys, so you can imagine my delight at receiving this! Warboys is a village in the Cambridgeshire fens, and the story of the Witches of Warboys is very much kept alive there. Images of witches can be found all around the village on cars, homes and businesses.

I was especially excited to read this as reviews describe it as “fascinating” “atmospheric” and “gripping,” and it has been a long time since I’ve read fiction or historical fiction.

The book doesn’t disappoint, and “atmospheric” and “gripping” sum it up perfectly. Only a few pages in you’re transported to 16th century England, and you don’t want to leave. I learned so many things reading this book; as you travel the journey of the story you gain insight into the social history of the time. You’re rooting for all the characters in the book, and you’re reading it from the 21st century, so you understand why things play out the way they do. This book triggers the imagination, and I guess I particularly loved this book because I spend time in Warboys, so I felt even closer to the story. I didn’t want to put it down, and I was so sad when I had finished it!

I loved it so much I’m going to check out Jill Dawson’s other books, and make more time to lose myself in fictional books, rather than always reading reference books on Witchcraft.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving comments!