Monday 16 November 2020

Simple Magick: Our House Guardians

Grey filtered image of a stone head mounted on a stone wall

This is Copernicus. He is one of the six stone heads that are mounted on the exterior of our home, who I refer to as our House Guardians. (You can see the others on my “Welcome to our Cemetery Lodge - Part Two” Reel).

Copernicus is named after Nicolaus Copernicus, the Renaissance-era mathematician, astronomer and Catholic clergyman, who formulated the idea that the Sun was at the centre of the universe, rather than Earth (a Greek astronomer had actually come up with the same idea some eighteen centuries earlier).

He has been here since the house was built in 1860, “outliving” any of the humans that have stayed here, looking down on us as we enter and depart the building.

I feel the House Guardians - but especially Copernicus, who resides at the back of the house - watch over our home and keep us safe. Whenever we leave the house I petition Copernicus to look after our home, and when we return I thank him. I believe he helps me connect with the genius loci of our home.

We always intended to name the other Guardians, but so far they haven’t come forward with names. Although I don’t feel spirit in those as strongly, they definitely work alongside Copernicus to help keep us safe.

Do you have an animist view? Does the spirit of something other than an animal or human keep you safe? If so what is it? And do you think that modern homes are less protected by spirits than older ones? I’d love to hear your views.

NEXT - Simple Magick: Liminal Spaces 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving comments!