Monday 15 November 2021

Sacred Symbols: Elhaz of the Elder Futhark


The rune Elhaz appearing on a wooden floor

We have a rune in the floor of our hallway. As I sit on the stairs, and put my boots on, my gaze always lands on this shape. It appears to be Elhaz of the Elder futhark, also known as Algiz, Eoih, Elgr. ᛉ

You can’t see it very well in this photograph but the bottom branch of the stave is more - or less - visible depending on the light.

Elhaz is the rune of defence and protection, and I think it is fitting, as the mark is right by our front door. My eyes trace over the symbol each time I sit it in front of it, or pass by it; and in my mind’s eye I imagine protective energy emanating from it. Each time I do this the feeling gets stronger and stronger. I ask it to protect all that dwell in this house.

This symbol asks us not to take this protection for granted (I won’t), but to remain alert and level headed; using intuition where possible and when needed. Your intuition is your protection with this rune.

Do you have any markings in your home that were already there when you arrived? Have you placed runes, or other symbols, in or around your home for protection or other reasons? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving comments!